Friday, May 4, 2012

Homemade Hot Pockets

I love flaky pastry filled with savory fillings and gooey cheese as much as the next guy but I just cannot bring myself to buy a hot pocket.  I cannot figure out how they can sell 2 hot pockets for $1 and even try to pretend that there is anything quality about their product.  I am sure the packaging cost more than the ingredients.  Sure, my hot pocket knock offs cannot compete with the 2 minute microwave convenience the originals offer but at least I say mine are made out of quality ingredients.
Lets get started:

Start by opening a can of crescent rolls (I used the reduced fat version).  Lay 4 of the 8 triangles out on your work surface.  Set the remaining 4 triangles aside for now. 

In a non stick pan over low heat, melt 1 tbl butter.  Add 3 eggs and scramble.  Remove from heat when they just start to cook, they should resemble loose cottage cheese.

Top the 4 triangles with deli turkey, shredded cheese and a scoop of your soft scrambled eggs.  Then top with one of the reserved croissant triangles.  Pinch edges together to seal tightly.  If you are a perfectionist (as I tend to be when it comes to food) you can trim the edges to make perfect triangles.

 Transfer to a parchment paper lined sheet pan (see "Not So Chunky Monkey Cookies Blog" to learn about where to buy parchment and sheet pans). 


Bake at 375 for 15 min or until GBD (Golden Brown and Delicious).  Enjoy while warm and toasty.
Notes:
In this recipe I made a breakfast version of a hot pocket.  You can make these with almost any ingredients.  These are also a great way to transform leftovers into a fun lunch.  Here is a few ideas I think would be tasty combos...
*Pizza Sauce, Pepperoni, Low Moisture Mozzarella (gotta get the low moisture kind or you will have a soggy mess!)
*Ham and Cheddar Cheese
*Sauteed Mushrooms, Provolone and Pesto
*Bacon, Egg and Cheese (Pre cook the bacon and chop into smaller pieces)
*Pulled Pork and Pepper jack Cheese
*Grilled Chicken, Broccoli and Cheddar (see "Eat Your Broccoli Blog" about how to properly cook broccoli)

No comments:

Post a Comment